Friday, February 8, 2019

The ABC's of Me - Day 8: Gene - Olympian

Day 8:  G
Gene - Olympian
I will never forget how randomly I discovered Gene.  I was walking through the UC Santa Cruz campus while visiting a friend during our Sophomore year.  As we approached her dorm through the parking lot, I noticed a car with four stickers on the back window:  Depeche Mode, Pulp, Suede and GENE.  I was of course very in love with the first three bands, but who was this fourth unknown artist??  Upon arriving back in Davis, I immediately went to one of the local record shops and found Gene's sophomore album "Drawn to the Deep End".  I was immediately enamored with the album and went right back out and purchased their debut album "Olympian"!  This album was even better and is still one of my favorites.  This track is definitive Gene, with Martin Rossiter's voice soaring above the chamber/brit pop magic!  Definitely one of the most underrated bands of the brit pop era, Gene are still one of the best in my eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment