Saturday, December 31, 2016

Movies of the Year 2016

It is that time of the year when Ooberus Oblivious, one of the greatest little known music blogs, becomes one of the greatest little known MOVIE blogs.  This also marks my final post for 2016, which has been a wild ride.  Here's to hoping 2017 is a better year all around for the world as a whole.  I love you all, thank you for listening/reading, and Happy New Year!!!

After seeing about 70 new films this year, I've chosen 20 to represent my favorite films of 2016:

1. Closet Monster
The struggle of finding oneself is something everyone must deal with during life.  Coping with personal demons is another.  Closet Monster gives us a beautiful look at these struggles through the life of a young, aspiring make-up artist whose sexuality is budding.  Add one of the greatest soundtracks (sounds like Ooberus Oblivious in movie form) and Isabella Rossellini as a talking guinea pig for comedic effect, and this movie encapsulates everything I love about cinema.  The film is full of so much heart & pain, with a dash of humor and amazing music set perfectly to every scene where it is utilized (the Halloween house party scenes are still ingrained on my brain).


2. A Monster Calls
The heart of a movie is always what pulls me in most and A Monster Calls is pretty much all heart.


3. Hunt for the Wilderpeople
More heart and hilarity.  See a theme?



4. Kubo and the Two Strings
By far the best animated film of the year that I've seen, which means it will surely go unnoticed in the grand scheme of things.  See it!



5. The Lobster
This movie is so bizarre and a superb take on modern love.


6. La La Land
I figured I would like this movie, but didn't realize how much it would make me love it by the end.  Catchy, vibrant and heart-warming to no end.



7. Miss Sloane
I am not a fan of political dramas, but Miss Sloane won me over, mainly thanks to Jessica Chastain's awesome performance.  In times of such political unrest, it's good to find hope in movies such as these.


8. Swiss Army Man
This films ride a fart gag from beginning to end and in doing so, shows a certain beauty & love.  I'm sure an off-putting movie for many, I actually loved it.


9. Paterson
A slow-moving poem of a movie that you have to just sink into and let the simplistic beauty carry you away.


10. The Greasy Strangler
All I'm gonna say is "HOOTIE TOOTIE DISCO CUTIE, HOOTIE TOOTIE DISCO CUTIE!!" and if you don't enjoy The Greasy Strangler you're a true BULLSHIT ARTIST!!
ADDENDUM:
10.1  Sing Street

11. Hidden Figures

12. 10 Cloverfield Lane

13. Midnight Special

14. Don't Breathe

15. Nocturnal Animals

16. Julieta

17. Bølgen (The Wave)

18. The Shallows

19. Eye in the Sky

20. Hell or High Water
-----------------------------------
And and and, we cannot forget my LEAST FAVORITE MOVIES OF THE YEAR 2016 AWARDS which go to:

1.  Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
2.  Captain America: Civil War
3.  X-Men: Apocalypse

No comments:

Post a Comment