Monday, December 19, 2016

Concerts of the Year 2016

The concert train surely slowed down for me this year but I haven't compiled this list in a few years and I am feeling the need to give thanks to some very special performances I enjoyed this year.

1. Saint Etienne - OnBlackheath  - London - September 11
    Quite possibly one of the most perfect setlists ever, Saint Etienne played with a full band, strings, flute, guitar, it was perfection.  The POP never ended and I moved the entire time.  The giant balloons did get annoying but added to the overall fun of the set.  Amazing!


2.  Junior Boys - FYF - LA - August 27
    The energy of this seemingly short set was intense.  I could NOT stop dancing and they sounded perfect.  Being in that dark tent with all the lasers & lights & disco balls just made it all the more perfect.


3.  The Cure - The Chelsea + Sleep Train Amphitheatre - Las Vegas + Chula Vista - May 20 + 21
    I would have liked to mush these two shows together and sprinkle in a little "Killing an Arab" to make my life more complete but it's okay.  The Cure was on point every night I saw them but these two were the better of the four shows I attended!


4.  Twin Shadow - Performing the Entire "Purple Rain" Album - Masonic Lodge at Hollywood Forever - LA - September 23
  Another intense show saw Twin Shadow playing a fitting tribute to the great Prince.  The crowd was overwhelmingly into the show and we were right in front to enjoy all the magic.


5.  Róisín Murphy - El Rey Theatre - LA - November 9
   There is nothing you can compare Roisin Murphy to, and definitely nothing to which you can compare seeing her live.  Non-stop costume changes and seeing her transform her art pop into the live setting is pure greatness.  I truly was overpowered!


Honorable Mentions:
Grace Jones (FYF)
Lush x3 (Terminal 5 / The Fonda Theatre)
Peaches / Christeene (The Wiltern)
Still Corners (The Roxy)

No comments:

Post a Comment