Monday, April 5, 2010

Chinawoman

Today I give you Chinawoman who vamps us into submission with her gorgeous torch ballads. Chinawoman is a mysterious Russian woman who lives in Canada. Yes, mysterious. Her real name is Michelle but I much prefer Chinawoman. She's got a new album out, "Show Me the Face" which I must say is one of my favourite albums of the year so far. It's a vast improvement over her debut "Party Girl" and sees Chinawoman's sound (mostly music-wise) evolving. There are more instruments and a much more diverse selection of musical styles. Like the artist herself, the music is very mysterious and drags you into its foggy, dark world. I personally can't help but become engrossed every time I play it. Through it all, her voice remains the focal point with its same deep self...I loooove her deeeeep voice. 

Sample away... 
Lovers Are Strangers (from Party Girl
Russian Ballerina (from Russian Ballerina EP)
Go & It's No Compliment (both from Show Me the Face

The fantastic video for "Lovers Are Strangers":


You can purchase all her releases digitally here: http://bazaar.chinawoman.ca "Party Girl" was also released on CD which you can buy at CDbaby. According to the Chinawoman herself, "Show Me the Face" should be seeing a physical release in the near future. Yay!

1 comment:

  1. I wonder if the song on the vid was actually playing, poor saps probably didnt know their vid was gonna be used like this... hahaha (gasps for air) hahahah

    ReplyDelete