Thursday, December 30, 2010

Best of 2010 - CONCERTS!!!!

I only went to 34 concerts this year, a truly disappointing number, but that doesn't take away from the fact that I went to some lovely shows this year...and here they are!

10. The Magnetic Fields - Town Hall, NY. March 11.
The last of three MF shows I attended this year, and the 2nd in NY. All three shows were pretty similar but they played "The Luckiest Guy on the Lower East Side" and "I Have the Moon" at this show and that made it the best.

9. Freezepop - Boardner's, Sept 30.
While the encores may have stunk with dumb covers, the new songs sounded fantastic and they played a whole slew of greatest hits that I wasn't expecting! Plus openers Ming and Ping with their awesome dancing monkey-man warrants extra points!

8. Belle & Sebastian - Hollywood Forever, Oct 5.
Belle & Sebastian live is a joy...Belle & Sebastian live in a cemetery after a rainy day and a screening of "Trainspotting" is bliss. Great setlist too.

7. Perfume Genius - Masonic Lodge at Hollywood Forever, Sept 28.
My second show in the Masonic Lodge and what a beauty. Sparse piano and keyboards under lovely emotional vocals in one of LA's finest small venues.

6. School of Seven Bells / Warpaint / Cold Cave / The Blow / Best Coast - Los Angeles State Historic Park, Sept 4.
The stand-outs of this year's FYF were easily School of Seven Bells who closed out my night with some synth beauty! Warpaint also rocked us early on and proved they are an up and coming force! The Blow was super amusing 'cept she didn't play "Fists Up"!

5. Cats on Fire - La Cita, May 29.
La Cita was the home of Hungry Beat! Their stage is incredibly small. How these fours dudes played on it is beyond me but they did and they played an incredible set of music! I danced my butt off!

4. The Legendary Pink Dots - The Echo, Nov 16.
A truly beautiful and masterful performance by these all-time favourites. Magic!

3. The Golden Filter - Spaceland, June 4.
I danced so so much at this show, they played all the hits and played them so fucking well...opener The Hundred in the Hands also impressed!

2. Class Actress - The Echo, Nov 5.
Our darling Class Actress was stuck opening for the shit band Small Black. That didn't stop my Rocks and I from getting front and center stage and dancing and smiling and being in heaven! Her VCR prop was priceless. Talking to us ever so briefly right after her set to explain why she couldn't play "Someone Real" (which I made Rocks yell out) was so amazing! I had Elizabeth Harper's hair on my face bitches!

1. Kelis / Robyn - The Music Box, July 23.
Two divas sharing one stage (though never together). Kelis really did win my heart this night with a non-stop (literally) pop barrage! And even though Robyn wasn't the better player that night (the encores really did bore me), she still played an awesome show, "Cobrastyle" was flippin' brilliant and I danced so hard! Next time Robyn, you play me "Konichiwa Bitches", or else!

No comments:

Post a Comment