Tuesday, September 1, 2015

The Magic Theatre - London Town

It's my birthday and that means I get to post something special.  Not to say that all of my other posts aren't extremely special but this is just more personal.

Released in 2010, "London Town" by The Magic Theatre was a true labor of love.  About 5 years in the making (and I followed every step along the way through MySpace blogs), it is the first album for this magical band who formed out of the ashes of my favorite band Ooberman.
Anticipating an album for such a long time and being given insight throughout the entire process by frontman Dan Popplewell, really gave me a strong connection to the album before it was even released.  And when it was finally released, I was in a state of euphoria.  The album tells a tale of time travel love between a 1960's Alfie character and a Victorian girl from the late 1800's who meet at The Magic Theatre.  They spend a glorious summer of love together, before the male character is whisked back to his own time.  The Victorian woman pines away for the love of her life well into her old age as the album comes to a close.
What truly set this album apart from anything else I'd heard in recent years was how relatable the story was to me.  I mean, I've never time-traveled or anything that awesome, but I've felt the type of love our heroine speaks of in these beautiful songs.  I've pined like she has, I've felt these emotions.  And the album is jam-packed with emotions that run the full gamut.  I've cried many times listening to these songs, but more than that, I've smiled and remembered what life is all about.
So today, on my birthday, I present in its entirety, the amazing debut album by The Magic Theatre, "London Town"...one of the greatest albums I have ever heard.





















No comments:

Post a Comment