Saturday, May 26, 2012

The Great Amazing Cupcake Race / Tour - NYC Edition - Part 2

The Great Amazing Cupcake Race was really all about Saturday, May 19, when me and my team of cupcake lovers ventured into the big city in search of great cupcakes! Team ButterCream Dream was lead by myself, and my trusty Sergeants Rockyboo, Boobarella Crys, & Sexy Swiss Mrs. Pilar! We decided to eat brunch at this cute little French spot, Le Barricou, before the Race. This proved most deadly to most of my team by mid-day!

1) After brunch, we ran ourselves over to Grand Central Station for our 1st stop...the very well renowned Magnolia Bakery. They had so many treats to choose from but I forced myself to just ONE small lemon cupcake! It was light, it was airy, easy to devour in milliseconds. Good frosting, good cake...thumbs up! My teammates enjoyed various other varieties, all very happy with our choices! Magnolia, you are good! Needless to say, I will be finding the Los Angeles location so I can devour some of those mini cheesecakes!! Shortly after our Magnolia stop, we had our 1st fallen comrade in Sexy Swiss Mrs. Pilar! Proof that cupcaking is no easy business! While we were sad to see her go, my team and I marched forward!

2) Our next stop, Georgetown Cupcake in SoHo. I ordered the Salted Caramel & Chocolate Ganache. Crystal ordered the Mint Cookies n Creme. I tried Crystal's first, and it was delicious and I don't even like mint/chocolate chippy things! Then, I tried my Salted Caramel. I just about died. I cussed, my head bounced back, I clinched my fists...I buttercreamed myself! It was soooooooooooooooo damn good!! And these next words, I do not type them lightly...
IT WAS THE BEST CUPCAKE I HAVE EVER HAD, EVER!!!!
Georgetown Cupcake is opening a Los Angeles location in Fall 2012. I will be there, and it better be a Tuesday or Saturday (the only days they serve Salted Caramel).

3) I could have easily stopped touring after the deliciousness we just consumed, but we continued! Our next stop, Cafe Angelique Express, a quick little street-side stand around the corner from Georgetown. Crys got the Spumoni and I got the Strawberry Alarm Clock. We saved these cupcakes until later as we had just filled up on magic. When we did eat them, they were good, just not magical! They do win the award for best cupcake liners though!

4) Sugar Sweet Sunshine, whose name I could not remember for the life of me, was next. I ordered a Pumpkin Spice which was really good when I finally got around to eating it. Nice frosting. Crystal ordered something I do not remember but she was not impressed. Well!

5) Next, we walked over to Crystal's favourite cupcakery (this may be changing), Butter Lane. A new comrade in the form of MC Maggie joined our crew and we were so glad to have a full team again! At Butter Lane you choose your cupcake base, of which there are three, and then you choose whichever frosting you want, of which there are a plethora! What we ordered: banana / sea salt chocolate; vanilla / cream cheese; vanilla / blueberry; chocolate / caramel. We ate two of those, since Crystal sorta forgot our other 2 at the shop! What!!!??? Well, my vanilla / blueberry was good but I really wanted my chocolate caramel, since Crys says their sea salted frostings are the best! This will have to wait until next time. So, incomplete verdict, Butter Lane is decent.

6) While we were certain our cupcaking had concluded, MC Maggie tipped us off to one final destination that was on our way home, Dessert Club Chikalicious! This was a tiny little shop with tiny little cupcakes! Rocky had a mini-Green Tea which he liked, even though he lost the middle of it. Crystal quite enjoyed her mini-Lychee cupcake. I got a S'mores cupcake which was rather difficult to eat by that time but I did. The marshmallow frosting was too thick and tough to eat. The cake wasn't very yummy, but the chocolate in the middle made up for that (a bit).


We left our final cupcakery, stuffed, exhausted, but very happy! Memories of my salted caramel from Georgetown Cupcake kept me walking on sunshine throughout the rest of the day, and trip for that matter!
Georgetown Cupcake Salted Caramel, I love you!!

Stay tuned for The Great Amazing Cupcake Race - LA Edition!
I am accepting new teammate applications, always!

No comments:

Post a Comment